OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2007

From:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 4 Feb 2007 19:41:23 -0500
I headed SW today. The first stop was the quarry pond on Roxanna-New Burlington Rd. in Greene County. I arrived just after noon. There were 5 GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE present at that time, but no Cackling Geese. Among the colorful assortment of waterfowl there then was also 1 female White-winged Scoter. Some Cackling Geese were said to have been there in the early morning, but apparently had left by the time I got there.

I then headed to the Camp Dennison ponds near Cincinnati. Neither the Long-tailed Duck or the Eurasian Wigeon was present. I arrived there around 2:00, looked around, had some lunch, then went back until about 4:15. Neither bird showed up. From talking to others, the L-t Duck was there early in the morning, but took off, and the wigeon hadn't been seen all day. There was also a Cackling Goose there in the morning, but it wasn't present when I was there.

On the way back to Columbus, I checked out the Greene Co. pond again, and there was noticeably less available open water than even just a few hours before. There were fewer waterfowl in it (no GW-f Geese, Cackling Geese, or scoter).

Bob Royse

Robert Royse
www.roysephotos.com