OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2007

From:
Joe Faulkner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joe Faulkner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2007 10:42:06 -0500
        There has been one and sometime two brown creepers at my suet feeder
nearly every day for the past three weeks.  I have attached the suet
directly to the side of a large oak tree, rather than hanging , or on a
man made pole or post.  This puts it in the "habitat" of the creepers.
On some days, I've seen them six or seven times.   They seldom go
directly to the suet, but rather clean up crumbs at the base of the
tree, or just run all over the tree.  Later in the year, I'll be lucky
to see this bird more than once or twice in the woods.
        I've also enjoyed watching a Harry and a Downy on opposite sides of
the suet feeder at the same time.  It's hard to believe we could ever
confuse these species when seen individually.

        This is actually a bit of a test message, as I have not had a post
from Ohio birds for some time.

Joe Faulkner
Somerset
Perry County