OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2007

From:
Gary Cowell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gary Cowell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2007 15:04:58 -0800
I stopped by Charles Mill Lake this afternoon (3:45-4pm) to see if the Glaucous Gull was still there where previously reported (North side of St.Rte.430 bridge Richland Co.DeLorme 49B6SE).It was still there sitting on the ice next to a very small open pool of water .He seems to be finding plenty of bait fish to subsist  on here as he has been seen catching many on several different days by different observers.How long this small opening in the ice will stay open remains in doubt.Also in the pool were the following :

  Canada Goose     2
Bufflehead     1
American Coot     1
GLAUCOUS GULL    1

  Also observed in the campground were:

Red-bellied Woodpecker     1
Downy Woodpecker     1
Carolina Chickadee     2
Tufted Titmouse     2
White-breasted Nuthatch     1
Carolina Wren     1
Golden-crowned Kinglet     1
Song Sparrow     1

  I then stopped by the Charles Mill Dam spillway off St.Rte.603,Ashland Co.,DeLorme 49C7NW and observed the following from 4:15-4:30pm:

Wood Duck     2
Gadwall     8
American Wigeon     3
American Black Duck     2