OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2007

From:
Rob Thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2007 19:53:51 -0500
Adding to the reports of desperate Robins, we had one scrabbling for seeds around our feeders this morning.  The bird had been watching sparrows, juncos, & starlings picking seeds out of the snow (we throw a lot on the ground beneath the feeders), and must have figured they were edible.  There are still plenty of crabapples and some Bradford pears with frozen fruit around our neighborhood (Gahanna, Columbus suburb), so we've had lots of Robins all week.

Even more interesting are the Carolina Wrens.  They're still fairly abundant here, and appear to be running all sorts of tricks to survive the freeze.  I watched a pair carefully glean around the window screens of a neighbors house, while another picked through a recently discarded Christmas tree.  Suburban environs have been a Godsend for these doughty little birds.  At the other end of the winter survival spectrum, I was surprised by a Winter Wren in Big Walnut Park this morning.  The bird was actually picking around _under_ snowdrifts, entering them at tree bases or fallen branches.  Occasionally it even erupted from the snow!  I knew that there were many bugs & worms active under the snow, but never thought that there was a small bird that could go after them.  They certainly earn their name (at least on this continent).

Rob Thorn
EarthLink Revolves Around You.