OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2007

From:
john petruzzi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
john petruzzi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2007 20:17:50 -0500
Today around 5:30pm a friend and I discovered a female MERLIN on Calla Rd.
in Mahoning county.  This is either Beaver or Green Township.  We saw the
bird twice.  As we made our first apporach the sun was behind it, making
identification difficult.  As we slowly passed it, however, the bird flew
down onto the road about 15 ft behind us and ran about for a bit before
returning to its lookout.  We had great looks with the low sun perfectly
illuminating every detail.  We didn't think it could get much better, but on
our way back we spotted it again on a different pole, and this time it was
feeding on what appeared to be a horned lark.  It was not skittish, allowing
us to park right next to it and watch it eat.  It was truly an awesome
encounter.  I managed to obtain some (mediocre) video and pictures.  As I
said this was an impromptu trip and I did not have the proper equipment with
me to take better pics unfortunatley.  In any case this is a rare visitor
for Mahoning (first I've seen anyways).  I will be posting the pics and vid
on Rarebird.org, in the NE Ohio forum, if anyone is interested.

Also, earlier today I observed a large flock of waxwings on Logan rd in
Youngstown.  I didn't have my bins so scanning for rarities wasn't an
option, but while I was watching them a Red-shouldered hawk made a
successful pass at the flock.  Exciting stuff.  Overall I had a great day of
birding without really trying.  It's cold, but I can feel spring right
around the corner.

John G. Petruzzi