OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2007

From:
jen brumfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
jen brumfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Feb 2007 21:05:07 +0000
Hi folks -

Had a great mid-morning's worth of gulling (8 species) at East 72nd Street
on the Cleveland lakefront. Hordes of large gulls can be found resting on
the pack ice and drifting in and out of the open hotwaters. At this warm
water outlet, observers can get awfully up-close to some really great birds,
if you put in the time. A pleasant surprise was comrade Kevin Metcalf,
already set up and filtering through waterfowl and gulls when I arrived.
Canvasback, Common Goldeneye, and Greater Scaup were in close in the
hotwaters, among others. A 3rd year Bald Eagle caused mass mayhem towards
the end of our stay, causing many many hundreds of gulls to stir up. Each
time there was a 'pick-up' of birds (eagle, planes, possibly a falcon at one
point) there was a new mix of birds that came into the hotwaters.

Larid report:

Iceland Gull - a single 1st basic (1st winter) individual in the open
hotwaters

Thayer's Gull - an single adult spotted in flight by an avid fellow that met
up with us (my apologies for not catching his name!), a fun and intriguing
bird that could possibly be left as Thayer's/Iceland...showed a dark eye,
medium amount of dark gray on primaries, gray mantle same/very similar to
Herring. Looking forward to any photos that Kevin shot of this bird.

Glaucous Gull - 3 total individuals; one adult and one creamy-white 1st
winter bird in the hotwaters, and a subadult in flight (probably 3rd year)
further out over the ice pack.

Lesser Black-backed Gull - 6 total individuals; at least two adults on the
ice pack, a third adult in the hotwaters, a 2nd winter bird on the ice pack,
and two first winter birds in the hotwaters.

Great Black-backed Gull - numbers not very high but several adults in the
hotwaters and resting on ice pack, not very many subadult birds save for
numerous 1st winters in the hotwaters and resting on ice.

Herring Gull - very abundant

Ring-billed Gull - abundant

Bonaparte's Gull - perhaps a total of 4 or so individuals max

Good birding. Stay warm.
cheers
Jen

Jen Brumfield