OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2007

From:
Glen Crippen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Glen Crippen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Feb 2007 14:09:27 -0800
Listed below are birds that I saw or heard today on this 30 acre farm and woods today near Burr Oak Lake in Morgan County, DeLorme 70 D2.  Under the 5 inches of very powdery snow, we also have about 2 or 3 inches of melt-freeze, packed icy snow.  So, much of the ground is covered except for some South facing warm spots.  I've had decent diversity and total numbers at the feeders lately too with up to, and probably more than 150 birds during peak activity.  Most plentiful are Cardinals and American Goldfinches. Interestingly and also of note, I have yet to locate this year a RB Nuthatch, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Brown Creeper, Sapsucker, or Purple and House Finch.  Usually I can see a majority of these birds in the first week or two of January.  Anyway, here is today's yard count:

  Barred Owl - 1, pre-dawn singing
  Turkey Vulture - 1
  Red-tailed Hawk - 1
  Red-shouldered Hawk - 2
  Sharp-shinned Hawk - 1 (with Junco in talons)
  American Crow - 11
  Blue Jay - 1
  Cardinal - 39
  American Goldfinch - 63