OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2007

[log in to unmask][log in to unmask], 17 Feb 2007 06:01:22 -0800234_iso-8859-1 I found this ODNR News Release about Black Duck
Research, thought it might be of interest.

ODNR TO MONITOR BLACK DUCKS IN STUDY OF POPULATION
DECLINE -
http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/news/feb07/0216blackduck.htm47_17Feb200706:01:[log in to unmask]
Date:
Sun, 11 Feb 2007 15:46:16 EST
Hi!

I just returned from a weekend trip to a friend's house near Lake  Erie where
yesterday I made a quick trip to the lake to see what was  there.  Our
friend's house is just west of Lakeside and the lake there is  frozen over.  I drove
east through Lakeside and came out on the west side  of Marblehead at
Foundation Park where there was plenty of open water and a few  thousand birds
including the following:

Common Merganser-100's
Herring Gull-100's
Greater Black-Backed Gull-4
Scaup-6
RB Gull-100's
Common Goldeneye-3
Swan-4 unidentified with heads tucked in napping

I then drove over to the Marblehead Lighthouse where 1000's and 1000's  of
birds could be seen from different points along the shore including the
following:

Canvasback-1000's, likely approaching if not over 10,000
Common Goldeneye-several thousand
Herring Gull-100+
RB Gull-100+
Scaup-100+
Redhead-~20
Common Merganser-~20
Bald Eagle-pair flying overhead
Greater Black Backed Gull-2
Mute Swan-4
Bufflehead-2

I was unable to pick out any possible rarities in the time that I was  there,
nor take the time to try to discern Greater vs Lesser Scaup. It truly was  an
impressive sight seeing that many beautiful birds congregated in one  area!
Hopefully, birders who live near the area will have more time than I  did to
carefully scope out the various birds and report back to this  listserv.

Rob Lowry
Powell, Ohio