OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2007

From:
Lynda Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lynda Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2007 08:14:36 -0500
Carol, thank you for the smile you gave me this morning when I read your
message.  I couldn't convince a newspaper photographer once that the
picture they had in the paper listed as a pelican was actually a great blue
heron..  : )

Regarding the Putnam Landing eagle(s) I last saw one eagle on the Muskingum
River in the South Zanesville area on Jan. 4th.  My brother and
sister-in-law saw one again in the same area (where there is a somewhat new
bridge which is located on a bypass like road to get you from Rt. 22 over
to Rt 60) on Sat. Jan. 27th.  If you know what the name of that bridge is I
would appreciate knowing what to call it.  Mapquest has it down as the 555
bridge.   I have never figured out where Putnam's Landing is and wonder if
it might be close by this particular bridge.

Lynda Andrews
Wildlife Biologist
Wayne National Forest
740/753-0550 voice
740/753-0118 fax

"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses
to destroy"  ...  John Sawhill

             Carol Lyle
             R.COM>                                                     To
             Sent by: Ohio             [log in to unmask]
             birds                                                      cc
             <OHIO-BIRDS@LISTS
             ERV.MUOHIO.EDU>                                       Subject
                                       [Ohio-birds] Zanesville grebe

             02/10/2007 02:01
             PM

             Please respond to
                Carol Lyle
                  R.COM>

Hi Everyone,

I neglected to mention in my earlier 'yard birds' that I visited the
Zanesville Putnam's Landing yesterday to search for the earlier mentioned
eagles.

I had been there a couple of weeks earlier and a nearby gentleman eagerly
explained that he'd been watching the 'eagles' all morning.  During our
conversation he pointed them out to me as two birds flew up and down the
river bank while he discussed their 'field marks .. white heads, bellies,
larger size.  Alas, he neglected to notice other marks, shape, behavior.  I
pulled out my field guides to help him learn to ID what he was really
looking at...ring-billed gulls!!!

On yesterday's visit I again lucked out on the eagles.  I wonder if anyone
has seen them recently?

They've not been mentioned on the list for a while.  However, among the
many gulls, mallards, Canada geese, occassional Coot I did discover a
grebe.  I'm not real certain of my ID but think it was a Horned Grebe
because the neck was quite white with just a thin stripe of black on the
neck back up near the head.  I couldn't ID the head shape adequately.  The
black of the crown just came down to the eye level but was not  very
sharply defined.  I was unable to ID a pale spot in front of the eye.  I
hope someone else can find the bird and help my verify or modify my ID.
Thanks, Carol

Additional discussions can be found in our forums, at
www.ohiobirds.org/forum/.