OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2007

From:
Victor Fazio <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Victor Fazio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Mar 2007 20:34:53 -0700
In the wake of a substantial post-breeding dispersal last
  fall across Ohio away from Lake Erie, I have found
  myself delving into old descriptions of similar events.
  This in turn, has brought about a curiousity concerning
  the spring progress of Great Egrets, especially in
  light of two recent nestings away from Lake Erie
  (recently reported in The Ohio Cardinal). And so I
  thought to offer up a little exercise. Any day now,
  Great Egrets should be arriving. For those who may
  be up to participating, I would like you enter any
  and all sightings of Great Egret this spring into
  eBird. This will allow for everyone to watch the progress
  of the species unfold day to day.

  To the degree possible, I suggest taking the time
  to map the position of the sighting as well as one
  may. Most bodies of water are already within the
  hotspot menu, so using these will suffice most of
  the time. But in more remote areas, use of the
  mapping tool will likely be necessary.

  For those new to eBird, there are presently detailed
  instructions available off the mainpage. See ...

  http://ebird.org/

  Although many a sighting is expected from the Lake Erie
  marshes, I am more interested in the interior distribution,
  corridor use, and whether there are any favored stopover
  sites.

  cheers

  Vic Fazio
Shaker Heights, OH