OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2007

Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2007 11:48:12 -0400
Hello everyone,
Spring migration has begun in earnest here in the Lake Erie Marsh Region.  BSBO's Raptor Migration Monitoring project is in full swing,  Volunteers monitor migration from the tower next to the Magee Marsh Sportsman's Migratory Bird Center seven days a week, and they have been reporting numbers of Red-shouldered Hawks coming through since Saturday.  Pretty cool!

On Sunday, we were delighted to spot an American Woodcock from BSBO's window on wildlife.  It was less than 20 feet from the building and entertained visitors for most of the afternoon. And just a few minutes ago, as I arrived at the BSBO Center (located just inside the entrance to Crane Creek State Park and Magee Marsh W/A), a flock of more than 20 Eastern Bluebirds dropped down into the trees next to our office.  Spectacular!

Have I convinced you to come see us yet?  If so, while you're in the area, why not stop in and have lunch with us at BSBO!  On Saturday, March 17th, Casey Tucker, from Audubon Ohio, joins us to present, “A Changing World Climate For Birds & 10 Simple Things We Can Do to Help”.  Casey's presentation is part of the Observatory's Lunch Lecture series.  Theses programs begin with lunch at 12:30 PM and the presentations are from 1:00 - 2:00.  Cost is a $7.00 donation for BSBO members and $10.00 donation for nonmember.  Please call to reserve your seat.  (419) 898-4070.

I certainly appreciate Bill Whan calling attention to the need to support the refuge system.  The staff at Ottawa have been extremely supportive of BSBO and we feel so fortunate to have them for our neighbors!
While you're there for the Auto Tour (if you haven't done so already), why not stop in the Refuge Visitors Center and purchase your Federal Duck Stamp!

We've planned our Lunch Lectures to coincide with the Auto Tours at the refuge, so take in parts of the refuge normally off limits to the public, then join us for lunch and a great program.

Find out more about the Black Swamp Bird Observatory's plans for spring by visiting us online at www.bsbo.org

Thanks!
Kim Kaufman
Education Director