OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2007

From:
Leslie Basalla <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leslie Basalla <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2007 11:22:11 -0500
This morning, as I rode the red line Rapid Transit train from my west side
abode into downtown Cleveland I was able to do some high-speed bird
sighting. I had my first Red-Winged Blackbird of the season just east of the
W. 98th St. stop, and crossing over the Flats I got a good look at the
Black-Crowned Night Heron roost at Columbus Ave. -- tons of them just
sitting in the trees. Since nothing is leafed over yet, you can make out
their white and gray shapes from all the way up on the trestle.

I've also had grackles strutting around the fallen seed from my feeder since
Saturday, and the cardinals in my neighborhood are singing their little tail
feathers off. Spring must be here.

O-ka-reee!
Leslie Basalla
Clevelandia