OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2007

From:
Bill Heck <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Heck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2007 16:10:03 -0400
Keep in mind that some of the alleged creagles and/or turkey vultures seen
in northeast Ohio this time of year are simply crows.  Large crows.  *Very*
large crows.

Some might object that these crows have bare (unfeathered) heads.  This is
easily explained by noting that the birds may have severe infestations of
feather mites, which cause the feathers on the head to fall off.  (You've
all seen cardinals with gray heads showing -- same idea.)  The truly picky
individuals among us might object that those bare heads on the large crows
look pink.  But this, too, is easily explained: with all that flying around
without head feathers, the large crows have serious sunburns.  And we all
know that sunburned skin gets really pink, even bright red.  What could be
simpler?

Thank goodness all this confusion will be eliminated in two days when the
vultures -- oops, I mean buzzards -- arrive in Hinckley.

--
Bill Heck