OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2007

Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2007 23:57:55 -0400
   Myself and Andy Newman drove out to Killdeer plains this afternoon.
We left my place around 4:14pm. We planned on seeing the waterfowl for
a bit then checking out the Short-eared Owl show at Dusk. Thats pretty
much what we did. There are tons of Red-wing Blackbirds around, as well
as Grackles, and Meadowlarks, everyone clucking, whistling and singing
away. Didn't see too many Harriers, only one actually. Had to wait a
while after sunset untill the Short-Eared Owls showed themselves at the
Sportsman's Center. We had a special treat as one flew right up to us
and cut back right over our heads practially. Pretty awesome. Woodcocks
were all around there, could hear maybe a dozen or so displaying. List
of highlights:

Tundra Swan -     130    on the water off of 68, pond 27
Trumpeter Swan  - 6 or so here and there.
Woodduck       - 2  -- a male female pair
Redhead         - hundreds, probably the most numerous duck
Canvasback      - about 10 total, most on the upground Resevoir
Ring-neck Duck - 100s
Scaup           - 15 everyone I could see well were Lessers
Am. Widgeon   - 200+ mostly on pond 27
Goldeneye        - 4 on the resevoir
GW Teal       - 6+
N. Shoveler   - 20+
Am. Black Duck - 30-ish
Mallards
N. Pintail         -  10+
Gadwall          - 5+
Bufflehead       - 1 female
Hooded Merganser  - 40+
Am. Coot - 100+
CAGO - lots and lots
Bald Eagle -  4
N. Harrier      = 1
Rough-legged Hawk  - 1
Red-tailed Hawk -    6
Am. Kestrel       - 2
Red-headed Woodpecker - 1 at the usual spot pond 33 i think it is. off
of 75
Horned Lark             - 10
Killdeer - 50 -ish
American Woodcock - 12
Tree Swallows          - 15 or so in all, seen at the sportsman's
center and at pond 27
Short-eared Owl       - 4-5   seen around 8:00 pm. always an excellent
show to watch. :-)  Gave their short barks and squawks

     It was rediculously warm today, and very pretty outside, had a
great time.
Good Birding Everyone,
        - Ben Warner