OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2007

Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2007 10:05:27 EDT
A couple of weeks ago, I asked for help with ideas of places to lead a
mid-March field trip & got quite a few suggestions.  I also got a  couple of
requests to let the rest of the list-serve know what these suggestions  were.  So
here goes, in no particular order.

Barb Kooser, naturalist at Mentor Marsh Nature Center suggested Mentor
Lagoons, Shipman pond on the eastern end of the marsh, Headlands Beach & the  mouth
of the Grand River...I believe that is Fairport Harbor.

Helen Ostermiller suggested Wellington Upground Reservoir in Lorain  County.

Glen Crippen suggested The Wilds & gave me a [log in to unmask]
(mailto:[log in to unmask]) .  Thank you Glen for the contact &
thank you Al for the information you sent  me.

Sheryl Young gave me help & infor for Castalia Pond & the  Castalia Fish
Hatchery.

Bill Whan, in addition to giving thoughts on the places already mentioned,
also suggested Ottawa NWR auto tour; Funk Bottoms & Killbuck Marsh in Wayne  Co
with a side trip to find the nearby Harris' Sparrow in Tuscarawas Co.;
Pymatuning Lake & Presque Isle in PA.; Berlin Lake in Stark Co.

Brian Zwiebel suggested Castalia, Pickerel Creek, Medusa Marsh & the  old
Sandusky Bay bridge access.

Kim Kaufman suggested a joint venture with the Ohio Young Birders Club to
Mosquito Creek Reservoir, Trumbel Co.  One of their members, Ethan  Kistler who
often posts here, lives near there & would make a great  guide.  A fine idea &
while we weren't able to swing that this  time I hope to make that a
possibility in the future.

Harriet Alger told me what had been seen at Avon Lakes Power Plant  recently.

Bob Faber suggested some other western PA sites:  Geneva Marsh, Erie
National Wildlife Refuge & French Creek

Tim Mason suggested Dawes Arboretum, _www.dawesarb.org_
(http://www.dawesarb.org) , in Licking Co.  He is  Natural Resources Manager there & provided some
very helpful  information.

Rob Thorn suggested a 'Big Loop' including many of the places already
mentioned & also including such places as Sheldon Marsh, the jetty at  Lorain, Rocky
River & E. 72 St in Cleveland

Most of these places I was already familiar with to varying degrees but  some
I have never heard of before & am looking forward to learning more  about
them.  Thanks once again to all who responded.  I hope this list  helps others
discover some new birding venues.

In case you're interested, the final decision (& boy was it a hard one  to
make), based at least to some extent on the weather predictions for several
areas, is Metzger Marsh &the auto tour at Ottawa

Laura Dornan
Louisville, Stark County.