OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2007

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Mar 2007 16:54:36 -0700
I was at Sims Park in Euclid today and was surprised
to see most everything in sight all iced up on Lake
Erie near Euclid.  I was there Wed and the lake was
all open with only a few ice chunks and the only ice
visible very very far out.  There was one narrow
opening with some ducks all condensed in a small space
today.  Except for Sims Park I saw many Hooded
Mergansers today and the males were all scooting
around jockeying for position.  Very colorful sight.

Sims Park - 1:45 to 2:20pm
Common Goldeneye - 255+
Common Mergansers 2
Scaup & Red-breasted Mergansers - several dozens of ea
Bufflehead - few

Wildwood Park - 2:30 to 3:20pm lake open north & west
Hooded Mergansers - 15 in marina
Red-breasted Mergansers - multiple hundreds on lake
Common Mergansers - 2 on lake
Horned Grebes - 3 (1 in marina, 2 on Euclid Creek)
Pied-billed Grebes - 3 on Euclid Creek
Scaup & Bufflehead -  few in marina

Gordon Park Boat Basin eastern end of E. 72nd St near
Martin Luther King Blvd & No Marginal (near Dike 14)
Hooded Mergansers - 27+
American Black Ducks - few
Canvasback - at least 1
Redhead - 26 or more
Lesser Scaup - at least 60,
Great Scaup - few
Ruddy Ducks 3
Goldeneye, Red-breasted Mergansers, Bufflehead

East 55th St. Marina - 4:40 to 5pm
(Lighting & distance impaired numbers)
Hooded Mergansers 25+
Canvasbacks - at least 30