OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2007

From:
Jay Lehman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 18 Mar 2007 06:28:26 -0400
I had 23 species of waterfowl in SW Ohio, including Coot and grebes.  I
started the day somewhat late at Miami Whitewater at the wetlands, then
went to the Lost Bridge area and pond on State Line Road, took a break for
a late lunch, then to Camp Dennison, Caesar Creek SP and finally Spring
Valley WA and the Roxanna Gravel Pit north of Roxanna-New Burlington Road.

At Miami Whitewater Wetland, Canada Goose 6, Mallard 4, Northern Shoveler
4, Northern Pintail 1 (m), Green-winged Teal 7, Ring-necked Duck 19,
Lesser Scaup 6, SURF SCOTER 2 (m+f), Bufflehead 3.  When I arrived at the
wetland and the pond by the parking are on Baughman Road, I heard a
Sandhill Crane east of the area.  I met Ned Keller and Kathy, Katherine
Miller and Sister Marty at the wetland, who stopped by after the OxBow
trip.  They told me about 26 Sandhill Cranes at Lost Bridge near
Elizabethtown, OH.  A short visit to the Oak Leaf and Parcours Trails
yielded an Eastern Phoebe, Red-headed Woodpecker, and a Pine Warbler
feeding on the ground in the woods.

Stopped by Lost Bridge, but no sandhills or any waterfowl.  At the pond
just east of State Line Road near the restaurant, there were Ring-necked
Duck 25, Lesser Scaup 3, Bufflehead 4, and 4 Common Goldeneye (all f).

At Camp Dennison, Pied-billed Grebe 6, Horned Grebe 7, Canada Goose 40,
Gadwall 2, American Wigeon 6, Canvasback 9, Redhead 5 (3m, 2f),
Ring-necked Duck 8, Greater Scaup 5, Lesser Scaup 14, Red-breasted
Merganser 5 (4m, 1 f), Ruddy Duck 12, American Coot 400.  The Horned
Grebes were in the middle pond just south of the bridge and in the
northern pond.  The Red-breasted Mergansers were in the north pond by the
business.  The Greater Scaup were at the very south part of the south pond
visible from the park.  Good comparisons of more rounded head shape,
larger bill and nail of the Greater Scaup, side-by side with Lesser Scaup
with the more peaked in the back head and smaller bill and nail.

At Caesar Creek SP at the end of Harveysburg Road, there is a large flock
(200+) of mostly Redheads and scaup species.  Identification was difficult
due to the stiff north wind, choppy water and distance.  At the beach,
there was a close flock of 30 Redheads and 37 Lesser Scaup seen at close
range on the western edge of the beach toward the youth pond.  Nothing at
Furnas Boat Ramp or the North Boat ramp north of the beach

At Spring Valley, I added 2 Hooded Merganser (m+f) and 2 fly-by Wood Ducks
calling.  At the Roxanna Gravel Pit, there were one Pied-billed Grebe and
5 Gadwall.  Way in the back of the north gravel pit there is marsh.  At
great distance through my scope, I found two Black Ducks mixed in with
Mallard, American Wigeon and Green-winged Teal.

I did find Green-winged Teal, appropriate for St. Patrick's Day, but had
no Lorna Doones to celebrate!  The total waterfowl list follows:
Pied-billed Grebe, Horned Grebe, Canada Goose, Wood Duck, Gadwall,
American Wigeon, American Black Duck, Mallard, Northern Shoveler, Northern
Pintail, Green-winged Teal, Canvasback, Redhead, Ring-necked Duck, Greater
Scaup, Lesser Scaup, Surf Scoter, Bufflehead, Common Goldeneye, Hooded
Merganser, Red-breasted Merganser,  Ruddy Duck and American Coot.
Jay

Jay G. Lehman
Cincinnati, OH