OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2007

Date:
Sun, 18 Mar 2007 07:36:43 -0400
I tried unsuccessfully to post this yesterday, so am trying again:

Spring is arriving at The Wilds and environs, even if today's weather did not show it.  While Kathy Mock and I birded the area today, it was a cloudy 26 degrees with a wicked wind that made it feel much colder.  Early snow flurries cleared in the afternoon, but the thick clouds lingered.  The sun broke through occasionally to shine on a far-distant hill, but never on us.  But everywhere, the air was filled with the songs of ubiquitous Red-winged Blackbirds, Eastern Meadowlarks, and Song Sparrows, and the calls of Killdeer.  Kathy spotted an American Woodcock bobbing up and down in the underbrush near the cemetery, moving like a leaf in the wind.  A few minutes later, she found two Common Snipe.  We got terrific looks at a Short-eared Owl that flew in front of us and landed in a tree.

Two Tree Swallows were flying over the largest lake on 284 in the morning, and their numbers swelled during the day until there were about 30 by 2:30 p.m.  We also saw our first Eastern Phoebes of the year, and heard (but did not see) several Henslow's Sparrows.

There was one Rusty Blackbird in a flock of red-wings in the field near the intersection of International Drive and 284.

Waterfowl included Trumpeter Swans (one with the green neckband field mark), Canada Goose, American Black Duck, Mallard, American Wigeon, Canvasback, Redhead, Bufflehead, Hooded Mergansers, Ruddy Duck, and numerous Ring-necked Ducks.

We did not see the Golden Eagle, any falcons other than Kestrels, or any Carolina Wrens.

Complete list:
Horned Grebe 1
Great Blue Heron 2
Turkey Vulture many
Trumpeter Swan 4
Canada Goose
American Black Duck
Mallard
American Wigeon 6
Canvasback 1
Redhead 1
Ring-necked Duck many
Bufflehead 6
Hooded Merganser 8
Ruddy Duck 1
Northern Harrier several
Red-tailed Hawk several
Rough-legged Hawk several
American Kestrel - females are back; saw one with prey
Killdeer - many individuals, one sizeable flock
Common Snipe 2
American Woodcock 1
Rock Dove 25
Mourning Dove
Short-eared Owl 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker 1
Downy Woodpecker 2
Northern Flicker 2
Pileated Woodpecker 1
Eastern Phoebe 4
Blue Jay
American Crow
Horned Lark
Tree Swallow 30
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
White-breasted Nuthatch 2
Eastern Bluebird 4
American Robin -everywhere
Northern Mockingbird 2
European Starling
Northern Cardinal
Eastern Towhee 1
American Tree Sparrow 4?
Henslow's Sparrow - heard several times
Song Sparrow -many
Dark-eyed Junco - a few scattered throughout the day
Red-winged Blackbird - many
Eastern Meadowlark - many
Rusty Blackbird - 1
Common Grackle