OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2007

From:
"Robert S. Morton" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert S. Morton
Date:
Sun, 18 Mar 2007 12:45:40 -0400
Friday, March 16: Drove east on Rt. 6 and watched 3 adult and 1 immature
Bald eagles sailing several hundred feet above the road. Turned onto CR
265 off Rt. 6 to private marsh. Counted 16 Northern Shoveler, 4 Gadwall, 3
Canada Geese, 2 Hooded Merganzer, and 10 Mallards. Red-tail hawks flew
over while Kildeer were singing in fields. Many Turkey Vultures seen all
day long. A friend of mine, Tom Dye, reported Wolf Creek Bald eagle nest
active, with each bird taking turns sitting on eggs. Saw two more Bald
eagles at nest SW of Fremont.

Drove on to Pickerel Creek WL area. Took TR254 off Rt. 6 to west boundary
of PCWL area and drove to dead end by private entrance to Ottawa Hunt
Club. A Great-Blue heron flew up; another GB heron stood atop a muskrat
house. Counted 22 Mallards, 2 Canada geese were sitting atop a muskrat
house while 18 more fed in the shallows, another RT hawk flew over, 1
adult Bald eagle flew over, coming from Lake Erie direction, 4 Ring-billed
gulls, 1 Song sparrow sang excitedly, then 2 immature Bald eagles flew
past.

Saturday, March17: Took wife to Ottawa National WL Refuge Auto tour. We
drove 7 miles into the remote area of the refuge. saw: over 100 Tundra
swans, but swans in distance couldn't Id..Trumpeter? Saw many Northern
Shovelers, Mallards, 7 Bald eagles with 4 doing the courting display in
the air, 3 RT Hawks, 8 Buffle Heads, several dozen Ring-necked ducks,
Black ducks, Common mergansers, Lesser and Greater Scaup, dozens of
American Coot, Hooded merganser, 5 Ruddy ducks, Gadwalls, Northern
Pintail, and Red-breasted Mergansers. It was an enjoyable
experience...didn't know the Ottawa marshes were so extensive.

I realized that If I had to choose, I would rather have birds than
airplanes. Charles Lindbergh (1902 - 1974), Interview shortly before his
death, 1974