OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2007

From:
Richard Cressman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2007 22:07:41 -0400
Having a chance to get out today, I was determined to go to Hoover
immediately after the rain stopped. Although it was  drizzly at times and
generally misty, I managed a good day.

Andi Wolfe already posted most of what I saw. Here a few additions and
comments.

> Buffleheads (xx)
> Redbreasted Merganser (x)
> Hooded Merganser (x)
> Great Blue Heron (1)
> Lesser Scaup (xx)
> Pied Bill Grebe (1)
Similar to above except the RB Mergansers were in the (xx), more GB
Herons and another 1 or 2 PB Grebes.
There were also A.Coots by the boad launch area (barely into xx)

> Hooded Merganser (xx)
> Redbreasted Merganser (xx)
> American Coot (xx)

(It was interesting to see large numbers of both Merganser spp. together.
During my experiences in New England the RBME were always in the salt
water and the HOME always in the freshwater lakes. The common Mergansers
were also in the freshwater.)

*Notable additions:* off the picnic area south of the Walnut boat launch.
.
COMMON LOON. In summer plumage - or at least nearly so.

What appeared to be a hybrid between a scaup and a Ringed-neck duck
At first, it appeared to be a scaup.
But there was the distinct white ring on the bill characteristic of the
RNDU. But no white at the base of the bill.
There was no hint of a shoulder stripe. In fact, the sides were quite
white like the scaup.
The back seemed to be intermediate between the gray of the scaup and the
black of the RNDU. Actually the back appeared more like a mix of
white,dark, and grey feathers.
It was all by itself. I did not see any other scaup in the area.

Regarding the Redbreasted Mergansers, between the dam and Smothers Road
there were well over 50. Adding the ones at Oxbow, There were well over
100. These are more RB Mergansers than I have seen since I left Boston 8
years ago. The males near the Walnut St boat ramp were quite active in
their courships rituals. Considering the whole area, the RBME were the
most abundant sp. by far.

Richard Cressman
Columbus OH