OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2007

From:
Scott Albaugh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Scott Albaugh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2007 20:52:52 -0400
I birded a few locations in Jefferson, Belmont, and Harrison Counties with
Bob and Justin Posgai today.  It's nice to find nesting Osprey and Eagles in
the same day here in this neck of Appalachia.  Here's the list of the more
interesting birds.

Rayland Marina and backwaters:
Coot
Horned Grebe
Pied-billed Grebe
Osprey – pair at nest
Mallard
Wigeon
Canada Goose

Pike Island Lock and Dam:
Canvasback
White-winged Scoter
Surf Scoter
Horned Grebes
Bald Eagle – pair at nest (this is the first active Bald Eagle nest that I
know of in this area)

Tappan Lake:
Canada Goose
Wood Duck
Mallard
Lesser Scaup
Ring-necked Duck
Redhead
Bufflehead
Hooded Merganser
Common Merganser
Red-breasted Merganser
Pied-billed Grebe
Horned Grebe
Bald Eagle
Tree Swallow
Double-crested Cormorant
Bonaparte’s Gull
Eastern Phoebe

There were Horned Grebes a-plenty today at the Ohio River and at Tappan
Lake.  Also numerous mergansers of all three species at Tappan.

Tappan Lake is found on page 62 section B2 of the Delorme.  Rayland marina
and Pike Island are on page 63 section C6.

Scott Albaugh