OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2007

From:
The Reiners <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Reiners <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Mar 2007 17:26:44 -0500
Flooded fields in the Scioto bottomlands north of Circleville are creating
some terrific feeding areas for opportunistic waterfowl.  I have gotten out
only very close to my house, but even this has proven rewarding.  A good
vantage point today was along Little Walnut Road (DeLorme 68: C-2), off of
U.S. 23 just south of South Bloomfield.  This is about ¼-½ mile from the
Walnut Creek/Scioto River confluence and, because its source is Walnut Creek
(which has crested), may not be good for long.  West of the creek this
afternoon, there were:

Canada Goose 100+

Probable CACKLING GOOSE (I will be posting info on the birding forum soon to
check my identification, but I’m pretty sure.)

Mallard – 75-100+

Am. Black Duck – 3

Northern Pintail – 10-20

American Wigeon – 4-6

Green-winged Teal – 1

WOOD DUCK – 2 (seen in AM, not observed later)

Killdeer – 1

Just east of the creek, another temporary lake produced:

Ring-necked Duck – 37

Ruddy Duck – 1

passerines foraging among the flotsam: Red-winged and Rusty Blackbirds, N.
Cardinals, Am. Robins

Other notes:

A PINE WARBLER, present occasionally since December, is still visiting my
feeders.

White-throated Sparrows were especially numerous at my feeders today,
causing me to wonder if they are moving.

Common Grackles are beginning to display in the area, and blackbirds are
more and more numerous generally.

Killdeer are becoming a steadier presence day-by-day.

Must be Spring!

Eric Reiner

Ashville, Ohio