OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2007

From:
Richard Cressman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 22 Mar 2007 14:49:54 -0400
Green Lawn Cemetery, Columbus
3/22/07

Last night's radar indicated a significant movement, which could be
expected after the warm front which came through.

http://tinyurl.com/ysh7js

So I arranged to get out a few hours in the late morning and was not
disappointed.

Meadow Lark 1
E. Towhee 5(various locations 1+2+2)
Brown-headed Cowbirds several small groups around the area
Brown Thrasher 1
Golden-crowned Kinglet 3
N. Flicker - several
YB Sapsucker 2
Hairy Woodpecker 1
Winter Wren 1
Bluebird 1
E. Phoebe 2 (moving along)
Song Sparrows - groups in several places.
Field Sparrow 1
Fox Sparrows - groups scattered around at several places.
Turkey Buzzards 4 (circling low as they passed through)

BELTED KINGFISHER - seen at several times around the pond.
The final sighting: it flew east across the pond with a small hawk close
behind. They u-turned around the brush. I don't know the outcome. The
hawk was barely larger than the kingfisher. In fact, when they first flew
by, right in front of me, I thought it was one kingfisher chasing
another. They were too close and too fast for me to see them clearly, but
the kingfisher was chattering away. Then, as they turned back on the
other side of the trees, I could recognize the hawk as such. The tail was
long and narrow and the wings slightly spread. (Your guess is as good, or
better, than mine.)

Rich

Richard Cressman
Columbus OH