OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2007

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Mar 2007 12:22:26 -0500
        I visited the yellow-crowned night-heron nesting site in Columbus this
morning, and am pretty sure they're back. The nests, never models of
neatness, show every sign of fresh housekeeping. There are even freshly
snapped-off twigs on the ground beneath the two main sites. For the
first few days after they show up they are not reliably seen, but I or
someone else will let the list know when they are present at the nests
most of the time. Spectacular birds, and worthy of a pilgrimage if you
haven't seen one.
        As the clouds finally cleared out yesterday, innumerable turkey
vultures were seen during a trip back from Wayne Co; at least one or two
were always in sight. A few black vultures contrasted markedly. This
species never seems comfortable in flight. It's as if they suddenly
discover they're frighteningly high, panic a bit, and only bursts of
frantic flapping can reassure them they won't fall. Till then, their
wings are held flat and rigid, clenched. Turkey vultures, by contrast,
seem to be having a grand old time. They loaf along in the soft lap of
the air, their wings tilted up and supple, their shoulders and primary
tips flexing subtly to steer. They are never vexed, never in a hurry.
        In Ohio, we see migrating TVs in an astonishing nine months of the
year, lots of them in fall, from Sept through December, and beyond--this
winter they dawdled through into January. The Cincinnati CBC, for
example, had an all-time record 350 on 30 Dec. But lots of birds take
their time heading south: there's no hurry to grab good territories,
find mates, etc. But unlike most migrants, TVs take surprisingly long to
pass through in spring as well. We had some arrive here in mid-February
this year, and they will be found as migrants at roosts or in leisurely
flight through April and well into May. Why we can only guess, but I
like to think it's their mellow temperament. Because they eat the dead,
the entire landscape is their hunting-ground, and the whole year their
season. There is no hurry.
        I have some experience with migrant vulture roosts because my parents
have entertained large ones in their sycamores in central Athens for
years, at times the largest reported in the state. A couple hundred TVs
in the back yard is no big deal, but always fascinating to watch landing
at dusk or rising as the thermals kick up in the morning. Recently black
vultures have joined the throngs in the air. My mother heard odd noises
on the deck one morning last week, and when she flung open the curtains
surprised at least 20 black vultures, who promptly evacuated as
one--need to lose takeoff weight, you know--over the entire structure as
they evacuated the area.
Bill Whan
Columbus