OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2007

From:
"Shrader, John" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Shrader, John
Date:
Sun, 25 Mar 2007 15:57:23 -0400
This morning we led a field trip for the Dayton Audubon Society to CJ Brown Reservoir/Buck Creek State Park north of Springfield, Ohio in SW Ohio.  There was the usual assortment of loons, grebes and ducks on the main lake and at Old Reid Park.  Our small but enthusiastic group ran into a boater in the State Park that told us of a place north of the reservoir where he had just seen swans Friday night.  A few of us decided at the end of the walk to see if we could find the spot.

Indeed, there were 19 Tundra Swans and over a thousand ducks in a cornfield "sink" along Dolly Varden Rd. about 5 miles SE of Urbana.  It was very hard to estimate the real number of ducks, as they were continuously taking off and landing, coming and going, and while we were there (about 11:30 to noon) a number of flocks came in high from the south and apparently seeing all the commotion, changing their northerly course to come over and take a look (most landing, at least temporarily.)  In addition to the Tundra Swans, we estimated 100+ American Wigeons, 200+ Mallards, 50 Northern Pintails, 300+ Redheads, 100+ Ring-necked Ducks, 200+ Lesser Scaup, as well as American Black Ducks, Gadwalls, Blue-winged Teals (4), Canvasbacks (6), Buffleheads, and Ruddy Ducks all present.  You will need a scope as the main pond is quite a ways off the road, but there is almost no traffic along Dolly Varden Rd, so you can easily pull off the road on the shoulder and bird from the road.  This is a flooded cornfield, full of stubble, and seems ideal for waterfowl (at the moment. . .)

To get there from CJ Brown, go NE on SR 4 to Prairie Rd, then North about 4-5 miles to Dolly Varden Rd, then West about 1 mile.  The temporary pond in the cornfield is north of Dolly Varden Rd, between DV Rd and Hickory Grove Rd (SR 54), and east of Urbana-Moorefield Pike Rd (DeLorme page 56 D3).

While finishing up our DAS Field Trip, three American White Pelicans came sailing in at the NW corner (by the railroad tracks) on CJ Brown Reservoir (New Moorefield area.)   These were previously reported on Wednesday, March 21 by Casey Tucker of Columbus.  We also found a DCCO as well.

Final DAS Field Trip Report:

3/25/07 0830-1230
CJ Brown Reservoir (beach/dam area, marina and NW end of lake; Old Reid Park) and flooded farm field SE of Urbana
Conditions:  55-75 F, partly cloudy, wind S 5-10

Common Loon - 10
Pied-billed Grebe - 3
Horned Grebe - 7
American White Pelican - 3
Double-crested Cormorant - 1
Great Bleu Heron - 1
Turkey Vulture - 3
Canada Goose - 50 +
Mute Swan - 3 (Old Reid)
Tundra Swan - 19
Wood Duck - 3
Gadwall - 30
American Wigeon - 100 +
American Black Duck - 4
Mallard - 200 +
Blue-winged Teal - 4
Northern Shoveler - 10
Northern Pintail - 50
Canvasback - 6
Redhead - 300 +
Ring-necked Duck - 100 +
Lesser Scaup - 200 +
Bufflehead - 30
Common Goldeneye - 1 F
Red-breasted Merganser - 100 +
Ruddy Duck 5- +
Red-tailed Hawk - 3
American Kestrel - 3
American Coot - 300 +
Killdeer - 30
Pectoral Sandpiper - 4
Ring-billed Gull - 10
Mourning Dove - 10
Belted Kingfisher - 1 F
Red-bellied Woodpecker - H
Yellow-shafted Flicker - 1
American Crow - 1
Horned Lark - 2
Tree Swallow - 6
American Robin - 100 +
European Starling -50 +
Eastern Towhee - H
Field Sparrow - H
Song Sparrow - 2
Dark-eyed Junco - 2
Northern Cardinal - 5
Red-winged Blackbird - 50
Eastern Meadowlark - 5
Common Grackle - 100 +
Brown-headed Cowbird - 3
House Sparrow - 30

John and Karen Shrader
Centerville, Ohio, USA

Confidentiality Notice:
This message and the accompanying document or attachments may contain information which is privileged and/or confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not review, discuss, disclose, copy, or distribute the contents of this message.

If you have received this information in error, please immediately contact the Kettering Medical Center Network representative whose number is listed on the message and destroy all evidence of this correspondence.