OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2007

Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2007 01:16:14 EDT
Hello!

Sorry for the late post but on Sunday afternoon (March 25th), I birded the
wetland area at Glacier Ridge Metro Park just northwest of Columbus.  Birds
seen and/or heard included the following:

Wilson's Snipe: 19 observed from tower looking towards US 33 (at water's
edge and in wet fields)
Blue-Winged Teal: 6
Northern Shoveler: 6 (3 pairs)
Horned Grebe: 3
Coot: 25+
Eastern Meadowlark: 2
Bufflehead: 1 pair
Ring-Necked Duck: 63
Pied-Billed Grebe: 3
Eastern Phoebe: heard 1
Killdeer: several
Turkey Vulture: 3
Red-Tailed Hawk
Tree Swallow: 4
Mallards, Canada Geese, RW Blackbirds, Cowbirds, Song Sparrows

Most of the waterfowl were in the pond along Hyland-Croy Road next to  the
old white farm house.  This pond can be observed from atop the  "grassy knoll"
just east of the parking lot next to the Purple Martin housing  units.
Afterwards, I went to the main park area where I saw/heard the  following while
cycling on the multi-use trail:

Eastern Meadowlark: saw ~15, heard at least another 20-25
Tree Swallows: several at the wetlands and at bird boxes
Red-Tailed Hawk

On Saturday (March 24th), I birded the Dripping Rock trail and most of the
pet trail (VERY muddy) at Highbanks where the following were seen and/or  heard:

Fox Sparrow: in 3 separate flocks along the pet trail, saw a total of  24 and
heard another 20+
Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker
Cooper's Hawk: 2
Eastern Phoebe: saw 4 heard another 2
Eastern Towhee: saw 4 heard 4
American Tree Sparrow
Golden-Crowned Kinglet: saw and heard many, the most I've ever seen
White-Throated Sparrow: 2
Field Sparrow: 2
Brown Creeper: heard 1
Tree Swallow
Pileated Woodpecker
Great-Horned Owl: male roosting in pine by the sycamore tree  containing the
nest
Red-Tailed Hawk

During the past week, I birded the Highbanks wetlands (again VERY muddy) on
two occasions and observed the following birds:

Hooded Merganser: 6 and 4
Ring-Necked Duck: 66 and 46
Bufflehead: 6 and 10
Wood Duck: 6 and 18
Killdeer: 5 and 1
Pied-Billed Grebe: 2 both visits
Lesser Scaup: 12 and 8
Tree Swallow: 0 and 12
Coot: 1
Gadwall: 5 and 0
Eastern Phoebe: 1 and 0
Eastern Bluebird: 8 and 0

Directions to Highbanks and Glacier Ridge can be found at
_www.metroparks.net_ (http://www.metroparks.net) .

Rob Lowry
Powell, Ohio