OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2007

From:
"Robert S. Morton" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert S. Morton
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2007 09:56:59 -0400
Before I begin, could anyone advise me on what format to use so my posts
aren't jumbled with irrelevant numbers and spaces? Thanks in advance. Left
Fremont in Sandusky county, drove east on Rt. 6. Passed a deer carcass
with two Turkey vultures and one RT Hawk feasting side-by-side in complete
harmony. I guess the size of the meal didn't call for bickering at the
buffet table. Turned left onto CR256 by Racoon Creek and watched the
private marshes on the left, about 1/10 mile from Rt. 6. Saw dozens of
Northern Shovelers, wild Mallards, 4 pairs Green-wing teal, 8 Common
Mergansers, 18 Gadwalls, an immature Bald eagle perched in a tree at the
marsh's edge, Ring-necked ducks, a few American Widgeons, and several
Black ducks. Drove further east on Rt. 9 to the township road that runs
north/south and borders the eastern boundary of Pickerel Creek WA (Can't
remember numbers of TR). Drove for a mile and stopped by barns on left of
TR. Hiked into the "Dove Hunting" area on gravel path to man-made marshes.
At least a thousand ducks in them: Northern Pintail, Mallards, Black
ducks, Lesser/Greater Scaup, Northern Shovelers, Wood ducks, and Ring-
necked ducks. Didn't venture too close, so stayed far away and viewed with
telescope. More species but I couldn't ID them.

If I were reincarnated, I'd want to come back a buzzard. Nothing hates him
or envies him or wants him or needs him. He is never bothered or in
danger, and he can eat anything.
- William Faulkner