OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2007

From:
Nathaniel Nye <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nathaniel Nye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2007 13:15:01 -0400
Hello,

I birded the named metro parks in Columbus on Saturday morning.  I saw all
the usual stuff in expected numbers.  Here are the highlights:

Battelle-Darby Creek (Cedar Ridge Picnic Area):

Pileated Woodpecker  1 (seen twice, or else 2 individuals)
Red-bellied Woodpecker  6
Hairy Woodpecker   1
Downy Woodpecker   2
Northern Flicker   3
--->5 species of woodpecker in 2 hours!
Eastern Phoebe  1
Eastern Towhee  1
Carolina Wren  1 (heard)

Prairie Oaks (at the Darby Bend Lakes area):
Ruddy Duck  1
Wood Duck  2
Horned Grebe  1
Pied-billed Grebe  2
Eastern Meadowlark  2
Belted Kingfisher  1
Tree Swallow  2
LAPLAND LONGSPUR  ~12    These were seen flying directly overhead, about 120
ft. high, with a small flock of blackbirds, headed in a straight NW course,
right around noon.  They were a little smaller than the blackbirds, built
like and flew like Horned Larks, but many of them had distinct, entirely
black heads as seen from below (w/ naked eye and w/ binocs).  They had
whitish underparts, and warm brown tones in their wings (noted well with
binocs.).  Tails were darker in the center with light or white outer tail
feathers.  There was another small flock of similar birds about 10 minutes
later of about 10 individuals, flying in the same direction, but were too
far away to be sure of their ID.

Also, this morning I saw a small group of about 6 or 7 D-C Cormorants on a
pond next to the Scioto River just south of 670 and about 1 mile west of the
670/315 junction.  First of the year for me.

-Nate Nye
Columbus