OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2007

From:
Andy Newman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andy Newman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2007 14:17:53 -0400
Had the day off classes so decided to wake up early and check out some waterfowl and
hopefully see a few of the land migrants.  Funk Bottoms was my first destination.  I was
greeted first by a flock of 400 A.Coots at the observation tower.  A few mallards and a pair of
Hooded Mergansers were also present.  A majority of the waterfowl were off 95.  A majority
of dabblers were very close to the road feeding on freshly flooded areas while most of the
divers hung out in more open water areas (except ring-necked which were feeding directly
next to teal.  I saw

EURASIAN WIGEON- the single drake was feeding about 75 yards from road directly off 95
about 300 yards from the start of the wetland, he was with American wigeon, mallard, teal
and ring-necked in about 4 inches of water
American Wigeon
GW Teal
BW Teal
Mallard
N. Pintail
Wood Duck
N. Shoveler
Gadwall
American Black Duck
Ring-necked Duck
Canvasback
Redhead
Lesser Scaup
Ruddy Duck
Bufflehead
Canada Goose
Blue Heron

Killbuck was composed of mostly the same species, the large area off 226 held quite a few
fowl.  Also saw an Eastern Phoebe and a few Killdeer.

Apple Valley Lake had two Common Loons off Sutton Beach.  One was still in winter plumage,
while the other was in Breeding plumage.  There was also a single female bufflehead.

Lastly I stopped at Kenyon’s Brown Environmental Center.  Saw the following
Brown-headed Cowbird
Golden-crowned Kinglet-flock of 12
Eastern Towhee- 3 males
Eastern Phoebe