OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2007

From:
jen brumfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
jen brumfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2007 23:14:07 +0000
Hello folks -

Just a few random notes on some 'common' bird movements here in NE Ohio.

On my way to and from Garfield Park Nature Center today, I had (and have,
daily) the now usual mixed flocks of Red-winged Blackbirds, Common Grackles,
and Brown-headed Cowbirds. Rusty Blackbirds are few and far between.

Great Blue Herons are really starting to move; meaning they're back to their
usual nesting haunts and fly out to feeding spots for the day and back to
roost in the late afternoon/evening.

Killdeer are spastic as ever, singles and duos sometimes stalking around on
suburban lawns and leftover puddles. Muddy stubble cornfields are great
spots for these shorebirds.

Everybody loves Peents. Woodcocks have been back and invading shrubby fields
for weeks now. You'll need a flashlight, boots, and a cell phone to call
your wife/husband when the cops just don't believe you.

Northern Mockingbirds are erupting out from thick shrubby winter haunts,
with a few easily seen along Canal Road and at CanalWay Visitor Center.

Dark-eyed Juncos and American Tree Sparrows are still present in decent
numbers but are receding from feeding stations...my first Chipping Sparrow
of the year was busting out it's trilling song from the Garfield Park Nature
Center (GPNC) feeding area today. Some juncos will actually stay to breed
while the much greater majority will soon be sending you postcards from
Canada.

Golden-crowned Kinglets and Brown Creepers are a bit more visible now, and a
Yellow-rumped Warbler joined a small mixed flock today at GPNC.

Turkey Vultures are the most common sky sentinels, with territorial
Red-tailed Hawks floating around, and several Bald Eagles posting up along
riverside haunts. Red-shouldered Hawks are starting to pass high in the sky
in small numbers. We won't see Broad-winged Hawks for another couple of
weeks - watch out, 'cause immature Red-shouldereds and even some paler
Red-tails can be confusion species. Sharp-shinned and Cooper's Hawks are
soaring around neighborhood stakeouts like crazy, and some are riding
thermals for fun. Doug Vogus just provided the list with a great review of
some nesting raptor locations in the CVNP. Soon (April) we'll see hordes of
thermal-riding raptors passing. That will be quite fun if you ask me.

Northern Flickers seem to be appearing more regularly - 5 passed over the
GPNC gardens almost in tow....they'll become more and more frequent a sight
as it warms.

Eastern Phoebes are returning to the region - not enforce, but still obvious
and it's safe to say that at least one or three will be on your day list if
you go out this week.

Eastern Bluebirds have been here all year, but they're gaining in numbers at
nest box trails - try Jackson Field of the South Chagrin Reservation if you
want some close up views.

American Goldfinches sure are morphing to gold. They're patchy as heck, and
if you have thistle feeders you're sure to get a dozen or two
currently-grubby looking flocks just ready to inhale some 'free' food.

If you are lucky enough to have nesting Northern Cardinals in your backyard
or your favorite local birding patch, you'll notice that males are becoming
quite the beligerant breeding fools. Some will spend every hour of available
daylight slamming themselves up against your windows. No, they've not gone
mad, they're quite territorial. You can try putting up some sort of window
sticker to fend the poor boys off, but the best advice is....yeah, good
luck.

Have fun. Buds are budding.
cheers
Jen

Jen Brumfield

Akron, Ohio
Birding America / www.birding-america.com
Illustrator/Naturalist, Cleveland Metroparks
Nikon Birding Optics ProStaff/ nikonusa.com
Editorial Advisor, A Bird's-Eye View / ABA
personal site: www.meadowhawkart.com

"Journeys, like artists, are born and not made. A thousand differing
circumstances contribute to them, few of them willed or determined by the
will." - Lawrence Durrell

"Blessed are the curious for they shall have adventure." - L. Drachman