OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2007

From:
Paul Gardner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Gardner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Mar 2007 06:27:49 -0700
I've noticed that I don't receive my own posts to the Ohio-Birds
mailing list, and once and a while, I receive duplicated posts
from others. Sometimes the poster will mention that they tried
posting previously, but the message disappeared. At least some
of this is resulting from the way some internet service
providers handle spam.

As I understand it, in the early days, spammers would send mass
mailings using a single "From" address. ISPs soon learned to
intercept huge blocks of mail originating from a single source.
The spammers adjusted by creating little macros that
automatically replaced their own address in the "From" line with
the address in the "To" line. The ISPs co-evolved to intercept
any message with the same address in the "To" and "From" line.

This tactic makes problems for mailing lists. When the mailing
list distributes the post to all the subscribers, the post that
is going to the original contributor will have the same address
in the "To" and "From" line. Hence some ISP will delete it as
spam, and it will never reach the original poster.

I've learned to wait a few minutes after posting, then check the
Ohio list at www.birdingonthe.net. If my post is showing up
there, I can know it made it to the other subscribers.

Happy birding,
Paul

Paul Gardner
Columbus, OH