OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2007

From:
Karl Overman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karl Overman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Mar 2007 21:19:24 -0800
Today Neil Gilbert and I saw the Spotted Towhee seen yesterday by
Greg Links on the western outskirts of Toledo in Lucas County.

The bird is coming to the vicinity of bird feeders in a subdivision
in Holland, Ohio at 1948 Whitby Court. From I-475/U.S. 23,  exit on
Airport Road (Rte. 2) and go west to Holloway Road.  Turn south to
the entrance to the subdivision on the left side (east) which is
Wexford Hill Lane.  Drive into the subdivision until you reach Whitby
Court and turn right into that cul de sac.  At the residence, walk
around the left side of the house and look at the feeders on the back
of the lot line which is on the edge of a wooded area.  We saw the
towhee under the evergreen left of the feeders and also in the
adjacent thicket even further left.

East of Toledo along the lakeshore there were considerable numbers of
waterfowl along roads such as Decant, Cordouroy, and Route 2. There
are currently many flooded fields between Toledo and the Ottawa
Refuge area and thousands of Canada Geese and hundreds of Tundra
Swans are currently in that area.  Good numbers of ducks are also
present.  At Ottawa Refuge itself, the second impoundment was
partially open and held a good variety of waterfowl including Snow
Goose, Pintail, A. Wigeon, and Green-winged Teal.

In addition, with the strong southerly winds there was a significant
hawk flight including a Goshawk at the hawk tower at Crane Creek (not
seen by us).

Here are some of the birds we had today in the Toledo area:

Pied-billed Grebe--one at the Bayshore power plant
Double-crested Cormorant--one at Bayshore power plant
Great Blue Heron--two at Ottawa Refuge
Turkey Vulture--numerous migrants moving west along the lake front.
Snow Goose--one blue phased bird in the second impoundment at Ottawa
Refuge
Tundra Swan--Widespread in flooded fields west of Ottawa Refuge as
well as at the refuge itself
Trumpeter Swan--2 (one with green neck collar) seen along Cordouroy
Road west of Teachout Road.
Wood Duck--pair seen on Teachout Road south of rte 2
Gadwall--numerous today
American Wigeon--widespread but in low numbers
Black Duck--widespread but in low numbers
Shoveler--at least six seen
Pintail--fairly common
Green-winged Teal--we only picked out 2 males in the second
impoundment at Ottawa
Canvasback--a few at Bayshore power plant
Redhead--numerous in flooded fields and at Ottawa Refuge
Ring-necked Ducks--best concentration was in the small areas of open
water at Metzgar Marsh
Scaup--both species seen at Bayshore power plant
Bald Eagle--numerous with both migrants and resident birds seen
N. Harrier--we saw at least 10 today
Red-shouldered Hawk--4 seen along lakeshore
Rough-legged Hawk--singles seen at the Toledo Airport and at Maumee SP
Coot--under 10 seen at Bayshore power plant and similar number seen
at Ottawa Refuge.
Sandhill Crane--3 seen in flight at Maumee SP; 2 seen in field on
Sacks Road west of Teachout.
Killdeer--5
Robin--only 5 scattered birds
Lapland Longspur--hundreds seen distantly off Decant Road north of
Cedar Creek Road.  Eight seen at close range on road into Metzgar Marsh.
Red-winged Blackbird-- A few were on territory in Oak Openings area
west of Toledo and at Maumee State Park.  Large numbers in blackbird
flocks in agricultural areas of Ottawa Co.
Rusty Blackbird--few seen today and those were in very large
blackbird flocks in agricultural areas of Ottawa County.

Cheers,

Karl Overman
Farmington Hills, Mi.