OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2007

From:
Bruce Glick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bruce Glick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2007 07:28:44 -0700
Good morning,

  I have a few sightings to add over the last week; some are mine and others are from local birders here in the Bobolink area;

  Vesper Sparrow - singing on territory at 7 pm - Ragersville, Tusc. Co. - March 29
  Rough-winged Swallow - south of Shreve, March 29
  Eurasian Wigeon - seen again at Funk (Wayne Co) March 28 (Ed Schlabach)
  All three scoters at Seneca Lake, March 24 - Ed Schlabach and friends
  Barn Swallow (1) and Rough-winged Swallow (1) March 24, Seneca Lake (ES)
  Pine Warbler - March 24, at Seneca Lake and March 26 at Mohican State Park
  Purple Finch - multiple reports March 26-29

  On March 19th, all Tundra Swans were gone from Funk (high count of 195). All 55 Common Loons and 40 Horned Grebes seen at Seneca Lake on March 24th were gone by March 26.

  Large numbers of ducks remained at Funk and Killbuck Marsh as of March 29 (probably 2500+). I did not see the Am. Bittern at KWA on the 29th..

  The Northern Shrike seen by Dennis Kline, et all 2 weeks ago at Wright Marsh in the Killbuck Wildlife Area has not been reported recently.

  As an addicted hawk-watcher, I can't help but pass this on: On March 27 at Braddock Bay, NY, they counted 410 Red-shouldered, 504 Red-tailed, 41 Rough-legged; 4 Golden Eagles, 136 N.Harriers, 61 Sharp-shinned; 134 Cooper's, 3 N. Goshawks; 61 Kestrels, 1401 TVs, and 1 Merlin - WOW!

  Bruce Glick - Holmes County

  Bruce

  Bruce Glick
  Millersburg, Ohio