OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2007

From:
Victor Fazio <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Victor Fazio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2007 18:31:28 -0700
 Just before the rain arrived, I had a quick tour of the
  wetlands at Killdeer Plains Thur. afternoon.

  3:50 to 5:30 pm 53 F, NE 12 mph, overcast

  Canada Goose - 90
  Trumpeter Swan - 4
  Tundra Swan - 84
  Mallard - 75
  Gadwall - 240
  American Wigeon - 145
  Blue-winged Teal - 5
  Northern Shoveler - 37
  Green-winged Teal - 58
  Ring-necked Duck - 140
  Redhead - 160
  Lesser Scaup - 6
  Hooded Merganser - 8
  Ruddy Duck - 2
  Great Blue Heron - 2
  Pied-billed Grebe - 2
  Horned Grebe - 7
  Bald Eagle - 1
  Red-tailed (Krider's) Hawk - 1 (ph)
  Sandhill Crane - 2 (set down behind Pond 27)
  American Coot - 1080
  Bonaparte's Gull - 5
  Tree Swallow - 65

  virtually none of the waterfowl were on Pond 27,
  rather look over the recent wetland development
  NE of the Sportman's Center.

  ... with regard to the Krider's Red-tailed Hawk ...
  I have twice previously tried to convince myself
  that I had seen this form in OH, and one I still
  consider probable, buta photograph eluded me.
  Over the years, several possible birds have been
  reported from KPWA, including a couple
  photographed but none that were wholly
  convincing to me. Since 2002, I have been
  expressly looking at the various forms of
  Red-tailed Hawk in Oklahoma, and have
  studied and photographed the Harlan's
  (uncommon but regular in the SW) and the
  Krider's (regular in NE OK, especially N
  of Grove). That is why I am confidant that the
  immature bird photographed at a distance
  (but I think diagnosable) .5 miles south of the
  sportman's center is a Krider's and not just
  another pale Red-tailed Hawk.

  also on the reservoir ...

  Canada Goose - 3
  Redhead -35