OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2007

Date:
Sat, 31 Mar 2007 15:31:41 GMT
As I read Paul Gardner's statewide report on the migration I note that Louisiana waterthrush
was reported from Licking and Guernsey counties (among others.) Filling the gap, I am
happy to announce that yesterday afternoon, at 12:15, I heard my first-of-season for the
species, singing merrily from the deepest ravine at the back (east) of our property.

I have been monitoring the nest box activity pretty carefully since returning home Tuesday
night. House sparrows had invaded Boxes #s 1 & 5, now eliminated, at least those particular
males. This morning, tree swallows are showing interest in box 1. Box #2 has had tree
swallows perched atop. I straightened it up from its windblown tilt, but didn't open it. Box
#3 has always been the scene of some activity in previous years, including last year's
probable successful bluebird fledging. Interesting that there is no activity there yet this
year, no nest materials within, nada. As I approached Box #4 on Thursday a male bluebird
flushed from nearby, followed by a female who exited the house. 'Nuff said. I halted my
approach and will continue to monitor: so far so good.

Brown thrashers, at least two, are calling pretty consistently from the shrubby edges of our
fields. It's always a delight to hear the various paired phrases. While I was pruning back the
multiflora rose from our trails yesterday, I approached to within fifteen feet of one who
continued to sing.

Thursday evening was glorious, moonlit, and tolerably warm, so I headed out through the
fields to listen for woodcocks. Although they have been widely reported from around the
state, I heard nary a peent. Not one. I have noticed in previous years that our woodcocks
always seem to arrive later than most or at least many. There are plenty of earthworms out
and about. Is it because we live on an upland? Maybe it is just our particular woodcocks:
late arrivers. My crepuscular walk was still well-rewarded: Orion and his Big Dog were
confronting the Bull, with Venus spectacularly ablaze at the bull's heels, above a fading
twilight.

A foray into the woods along the north end of the back field landed me in the midst of a
flock of at least a dozen golden-crowned kinglets on Thursday afternoon. Several were
gleaning the fallen grape tangles around a couple wind-fallen ironwoods, allowing for great
study without warblerneck.

Turkey vultures are soaring low and high over the Flint Ridge upland. I echo Bill Whan's
sentiments of a few days ago, admiring their effortless ease in riding the wind and updrafts.

Towhees are seeming everywhere, paired up and active. Quite a few meadowlarks are also
skulking in the fields, easy to hear but more elusive to see. Juncos are still out and about,
some now singing their chiping-sparrow-like trill. Plenty of field sparrows in the fields. My
first-of-season female red-winged blackbird was perched on the fence at the top of the
pasture yesterday. Lots of mixed blackbirds: redwingeds, grackles, cowbirds, starlings. The
good, the bad, and the ugly.

Bob Evans
Geologist, etc.
Hopewell Township, Muskingum County