OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2007

From:
William H Fissell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
William H Fissell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Mar 2007 11:23:28 -0500
Birders,

Whilst getting  a title for my truck at the Macedonia title bureau--
right next to the firehouse on Valley View Road - I saw what I first
took to be a Cooper's Hawk flying across the road.   I saw it from the
back and above only, as the bird was banking in such a way I never saw
the underparts.  The bird was Coop sized or maybe a hair bigger, with
grey back and wings.  I was looking at the tail and observed that the
bird had white lateral tailfeathers on both sides, and not just the
outer feather-- the outer two or three feathers were white, with a
narrow band of grey down the middle.  I don't know if there was any
banding of that grey, as I was so startled I looked back at the body of
the bird and the wings for more clues.  I think there was a whitish rump
patch, but I am not totally sure. The overall impression was more like a
meadowlark or sandpiper tail, rather than a junco tail.   The wings were
broad and rounded, and again the overall impression was a coop.  I
probably saw the bird for 2-3 seconds as it flew across the road and
parking lot and into the woods.

AFAIK, there aren't any raptors with white lateral tail feathers, so if
any Macedonians see the bird, I'd love to know what ti really is.

Bill