OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2007

From:
Tim Colborn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tim Colborn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Mar 2007 14:54:09 -0400
Liz and I spent a couple of hours earlier today (March 31) at Sandy Ridge
Metropark in North Ridgeville.  The highlight was our first Palm Warbler
of the year.  It was a yellow (eastern) bird that joined a mixed flock of
sparrows and woodland species along a wooded corridor between farm fields
and the loop trail.

Other birds seen included:

Sandhill Crane (1)
Wood Duck
Blue-winged Teal
Green-winged Teal
Ring-necked Duck (many)
Northern Shoveler
Gadwall
Black Duck
Ruddy Duck
Bufflehead
American Coots (many)
Killdeer
American Kestrel (flyover)
Northern Flicker
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Tree Swallow (many)
Brown Creeper
Golden-crowned Kinglet
Yellow-rumped Warbler
American Tree Sparrow
Field Sparrow (heard only)
Fow Sparrow
Swamp Sparrow
Eastern Meadowlark
Rusty Blackbird

We saw a flock of about 25 shorebirds take flight from one of the fields
near the visitor center as we were arriving but could not ID them.  They
appeared to be large Calidrid-sized birds but efforts to relocate and ID
them were unsuccessful.

Have a great migration!

Tim and Liz Colborn
North Olmsted, OH