OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2007

From:
Rob Thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 31 Mar 2007 16:11:06 -0400
I went looking for early migrants here this morning, but found the last remnants of waterfowl migration instead.   Stopped at most of the major access points from the dam up to Oxbow Island, and most of the activity was in the northern reaches of the reservoir.  Highlights included:

Cormorants - back with a vengeance, with nearly 200 in 3 hours.  Biggest flocks was 100 roosting on Deer Island (south of Oxbow).
Geese & Swans - many Canada Geese pairs at most stops, but no swans
Dabbling Ducks - Mallard pairs common, while a few Black Ducks & Shovelers were north of Oxbow Island
Diving Ducks - a handful of scaup in the lower reservoir, but a flock of 85+ was bobbing in the lake north of Oxbow Island, accompanied by 20+ Ring-necked Ducks, 8 Bufflehead, and 60+ Ruddy Ducks.  A few Ruddies (2), Bufflehead (3), and scaup (2) were also north of the dam.
Mergansers - only a few pairs of Red-br. Mergansers and Hoodeds were around, mostly in the lower reservoir
Grebes & Loons - 3 Horned Grebes were north of Oxbow, but no other grebes or loons were located
Gulls - small flocks of Bonaparte's at several stops, with the largest being 30 off Oxbow Island.  Very few with black hoods.
Turkey vultures - only a few; the roost at Twin Bridges has dwindled down to 7 birds
woodpeckers - many displaying and fighting Red-bellies & Downies, but few migrants.  No Red-headed and 1 sapsucker (at Oxbow).
swallows - no Cliffs or Martins yet, but Trees were at several stops, with a good flock (15+) flying around the nestboxes at Area F
kinglets & creepers - hardly any, despite being in fairly good habitat. A Ruby-crowned was singing in the riparian forest below the dam.
warblers - also very low, with only 1-2 Yellow-rumps on Oxbow Island (which is usually a reliable early trap).
sparrows - Chipping singing at several stops, but White-throats becoming scarce with only 8 for the entire morning.
blackbirds - Redwings & grackles widespread, along with many displaying cowbirds (Where was my BB gun when I needed it?:-)

Rob Thorn
EarthLink Revolves Around You.