OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2007

Date:
Sun, 4 Mar 2007 15:51:30 GMT
On Mar 2, 2007, at 7:58 PM, John Habig wrote:

> There were 136 species of birds reported on the listserve in Feb (2
> less
> than Jan). This equals 33% of the birds on the official Ohio Checklist.
> There were 149 species of birds seen in Ohio through February. Brian
> Menker's Tree Swallow today brings us to an even 150 species for the
> year.
>
> Birds seen in January but not February are King Eider, Harlequin Duck,
> Red-throated Loon, Common Loon, American White Pelican, Great Egret,
> Green Heron, Purple Sandpiper, American Woodcock, Pomeraine Jaeger,
> Barn
> Owl, Snowy Owl, and Gray Catbird.

I'm not usually one for nit-picking, (and thanks for the analysis John) but woodcocks were
in fact reported at the very end of February, at least calling in Licking County (Margaret
Bowman) although perhaps not technically seen. Peenting woodcocks reported by
competent observers is good enough for me. It seems like there was another report,
perhaps from Morgan County by Glen Crippen. When I'm out of state and away from the
farm on business I take particular note of the the changing mix of birds in Muskingum and
adjacent counties: a way of experiencing home vicariously.

Since I got back home Tuseday night for a week long "visit" I have heard both killdeer and
red-winged blackbirds, the killdeer Wednesday (2/28) after dusk and the RWBB this
morning (3/4) singing above the spring in the hollow behind the house.

Bluebirds have picked up the pace of their singing, I hear and see them nearly every day on
our morning walk through the fields. I cleaned out the nest boxes on Thursday, in
preparation for the upcoming season. In the past three years we have had many successful
tree swallow fledgings, and one (I think) successful bluebird effort from these boxes. Far
too much trouble with house sparrows, but I continue to fight this during my days at home.

Yesterday, through a snow squall I saw a lone turkey vulture soaring on the brisk winds
here on Flint Ridge.

I leave again on Tuseday until the 27th. I had hoped to hear woodcocks before I leave, but
winter has once again descended and I may have to wait. I note that they seem to return to
the lowlands sooner than here on the hilltop.

Bob Evans
Geologist, etc.
Hopewell Township, Muskingum County
DeLorme 70A1