OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2007

From:
Mary Krejci <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Krejci <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Mar 2007 11:58:48 -0800
Good Morning from Catawba Island, Ottawa County.  While doing my regular bird count this morning, we were suprised by a flock of 15 RW Blackbirds at our feeders.  We had heard one bird earlier this week, but could not see it.  This is their first visit to our feeders since the fall of last year.  Also in our area are a large flock of crows, 50-60 in number.  When we stepped out to count the RWB, I observed what I expected to be our local bald eagle doing a fly-over.  To my surprise it was our first Turkey Vulture.  He seems to be alone, but I'm sure the rest can't be far behind.  ( A local observation:  The ice is quickly melting and there are many open areas between the south shore of Lake Erie and the Islands.  Ferries will be coming back soon!)

Feeder count:

Finch: House              5
          Purple              3
          Gold                2
Sparrow    House       23
                Wh. Thr.   14
                Am Tree    9
                Field         1
Cardinal                   13
Blue Jay                    3
Junko                      11
Chickadee, BC          4
     Carolina               2
Titmouse                  7
WB Nuthatch            4
Woodpecker,
         Downy             2
  Red Bellied             1
Mourning Dove          2
Starling                   11
Grackle                    2
Carolina Wren           1
Cowbird                    6
RW Blackbird          15
Crow                        7
Cooper's Hawk          1

(Ultimately this last sighting leads to the question:  Do I still count the bird the hawk has taken?)    :)