OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2007

From:
jen brumfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
jen brumfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2007 00:37:24 +0000
Hi Folks-

The adult male SPOTTED TOWHEE in Holland (www.google.com: 1498 Whitby Court,
Holland, Ohio) was seen throughout the day today by many observers. Ethan
Kistler and I arrived around 3:15 pm and had stellar looks at the bird as it
fed with cardinals, juncos, White-throated, American Tree, and Song Sparrows
at the feeder system. It favored the cover of a solitary pine, and fed on
the ground.

Jim McCormac very correctly reminded us that this is the 'first chaseable
Spotted Towhee in Ohio history'. I would encourage you to run up for this
bird. It can be easily and responsibly viewed from the garage side of Jan
Dixon's house. Photo opportunities are excellent if you have suitable lens.

This individual has a very heavy set of 'spots' on the back (mantle) and
wings; slaty-black head, deep red eye, and chestnut/orange flanks.......
making it ridiculously obvious and quite glorious in color.

Jan is such a great host, many thanks go to her for her sighting and
hospitality (of birders AND birds).

cheers
Jen

Jen Brumfield

Akron, Ohio
Birding America / www.birding-america.com
Illustrator/Naturalist, Cleveland Metroparks
Nikon Birding Optics ProStaff/ nikonusa.com
Editorial Advisor, A Bird's-Eye View / ABA
personal site: www.meadowhawkart.com

"Journeys, like artists, are born and not made. A thousand differing
circumstances contribute to them, few of them willed or determined by the
will." - Lawrence Durrell

"Blessed are the curious for they shall have adventure." - L. Drachman