OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2007

From:
"Robert S. Morton" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert S. Morton
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2007 18:18:27 -0500
Had a great day birding, watching the RL hawk and Bald eagle soaring.
Drove east on Rt. 6 out of Fremont, toward Sandusky. Came upon a flock of
at least 1,000 starlings (yuch!) in a corn field. Then came to Racoon
Creek, where I turned left onto a private marsh area, about 3 miles west
of Pickerel Creek WA. Saw:
American Coots- 2
Gadwall- 2
Mallard- 4
Rough-legged hawk- 1

I enjoyed watching the Rough-legged hawk. It hovered over a large field,
along a wooded border, then soared over the CR I was on, over the marshes.
The waterfowl Id'd above disappeared real quick. It was a stiff wind, and
the hawk utilized every gust, with its head pointed downward toward the
earth. It had no problem hovering in a buffeting wind, remaining
stationary.

Next stop, Pickerel Creek WA off Rt. 6. Dozens of wild mallards were
flying and a male Northern Harrier was gliding, swooping, and ducking
below sight in the cattails, only to reappear in an instant. Several
Kestrels perched on telephone lines. Telephone pole lines around Sandusky
County and Kestrels go together like salsa and chips!

Headed further east on Rt. 6 and just before the water tower by the
White's Landing sign, saw a large adult Bald eagle soaring over the road.
Checked the nest outside White's Landing with telescope. An adult Bald
eagle was in the nest (could only see head), and he/she was busy in the
nest making a lining, turning eggs (?), whatever. But, the eagle was very
busy inside the nest. Much activity going on in and around that nest.

Also checked out the two Bald eagle nests by Wolf Creek Park in Sandusky
County. No adults around and couldn't spot any on either nest.

There is nothing in which the birds differ more from man than the way in
which they can build and yet leave a landscape as it was before.
Robert Lynd (1879 - 1949),