OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2007

From:
Tom Kemp <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2007 12:47:19 -0500
  Fellow birders,
    I want to encourage all of you to submit your sightings of rare and/or unusual birds to the Ohio Bird Records Committee. Each season, many observations of rare species in the state go unreported to the committee. Some are eventually tracked down, some are not. In order to have a complete and accurate accounting of Ohio’s birdlife, peer-reviewed documentations should become part of the permanent record. We owe much of what we know about Ohio’s birds to early naturalists who kept meticulous records of what they saw, or they collected specimens. Since collection of birds is out of the question in these times, thorough written documentation and photographic evidence is important. Submitting documentations is easy. There are report forms available on the OOS website if you are unsure about how to go about documenting a rare bird. Reports then can be submitted directly to the committee, any committee member, or to the editor of the Ohio Cardinal who will then forward them to the committee. Reports via email can be sent to andigena@ aol.com Regular mail reports may be sent to Tom Kemp, 1507 Napoleon Rd., Bowling Green, OH 43402. It would be great to see a greater number of documentations submitted to the committee in the near future. In addition, any sightings from the past year(s) would be welcomed.

  Tom Kemp
 Secretary, OBRC