OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2007

Date:
Thu, 8 Mar 2007 00:56:25 -0500
   After leading a bird walk at Kenyon College's Brown Family
Environmental Center (BFEC) and almost everyone had left (except for
Andy Newman) a more interesting bird made an appearance. Not that the
Bluebirds, Sparrows, Flickers, etc. weren't interesting, but this guy
seemed a bit out of place. Right up by the main building beside the
bird feeder landed an EASTERN PHOEBE. I wonder what it was doing up
there, perhaps it was investigating what the other birds were up to. It
appeared to be an adult and it was fun to see anyways.

       On the way out I saw a pair of Red-tailed Hawks and then I got a
Call from Andy that on the Lower Gambier Road in a cornfield adjacent
to the Kokosing Gap bike trail, were a group of AMERICAN PIPITS. By the
time I got there they had taken flight (typical pipits).

     I then drove up to the Mansfield area to go skiing at Snowtrails.
On the way out of there on Opossum Run road, I saw one of the local
RED-SHOULDERED HAWKs, perched in a tree right beside the road, with an
American Crow sitting above it (undoubtedly uttering insults towards
the hawk). These Red-shouldereds are often seen along this road and
even flying around the ski area. As I drove home further down I-71 A
flock of Black birds crossed the highway with what appeared to be
Common Grackles, Red-wings, and possibly Rusty Black-birds too. Pretty
good stuff.

     If anybody would like to join us on the BFEC birdwalks please let
me know so I can put you on the mailing list and get you directions.
The BFEC is in Knox County, near the town of Gambier and Mount Vernon
kind of off of rt. 229. Once the Neo-tropical migrants start moving the
property there is a great place to view these migrants as well as the
local nesters. Even now the wonderful property is host to many species
of interesting birds. Anyone can also check out the Website for more
info: www2.kenyon.edu/BFEC/
       Good Birding,
           - Ben Warner