OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2007

From:
Bob Powell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Powell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Mar 2007 20:29:50 -0500
After a three-day absence, the Ross's Goose was seen three times today: by
me in the morning near the east end boat ramp, by Larry Gara in the middle
of the day, and by me again in the evening on the ice off the swimming
beach.  All three times, the bird was in company with at least 100 Canada
Geese.

I saw five Sandhill Cranes fly into the field in the far east of the park,
the same place as described two days ago.  When I checked back an hour
later, they were gone.

The Tundra Swans were still present, their number up to 14 now.  Counts
varied from 8-14 at various times during the day.  I believe they are
playing hide-and-seek in the reed beds.

Numbers generally increased between the morning count and the evening count.
 The ice is beginning to recede again after having increased slightly over
the last two days.  The lake was about 75% open at sundown.

Peak numbers:

Pied-billed Grebe             3
Horned Grebe                  6
Tundra Swan                  14
Ross's Goose                   1
Canada Goose              719
Mallard                         278
Northern Pintail               38
Canvasback                      9
Redhead                       234
Greater Scaup                   1  (at least)
Lesser Scaup                  71
Bufflehead                         1
Hooded Merganser           12
Red-breasted Merganser    3