OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2007

From:
"Robert S. Morton" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert S. Morton
Date:
Thu, 8 Mar 2007 21:39:40 -0500
Drove in Fremont south on Buchanon St. and observed eagle nest to the east
of Buchanon St. in the distant trees. Two adults perched in tree about 40
feet from the nest. A friend of mine, Tom Dye, called my cell phone. He is
an eagle volunteer watcher, and saw an eagle in the nest at Wolf Creek. I
then drove east on Rt. 6 towards Sandusky. A lone Bald eagle soared high
above the corn fields several miles outside of town. On CR 265 there's a
private marsh about a quarter mile off Rt. 6. Saw:
Black duck- 2
Gadwall-2
Mallard- 2

Then, another Bald eagle flew over the marsh. Next, I drove around CR 232
and CR 259. There's a large Bald eagle nest 1/3 mile from the intersection
of these two CR's. Some of the nest fell down slightly, but the main
section seems intact and a Bald eagle was in the nest; I could see the
white head peeping up now and then. In a large farm field at the end of
CR232, I counted 34 deer. Several thousand birds flew over, the line
lasted 10 minutes (could have been 10,000 for all I know). They landed in
a corn stuble field and began feasting. Through my telescope, I saw this
flock, which was at least a mile long in flight, was a mixture of Common
grackles and Red-wing blackbirds, with some Starlings. They must group
together.

On the way back to Fremont on Rt. 6, I noticed a very large flock of
Canada Geese landing in the field which bordered the east side of Pickerel
Creek WA. Several dozen swan took off before I reached the field, so I
don't know if they were Tundra or Trumpeters. I counted well over 1,000
Canada geese. Ten Wood ducks flew over and I also saw 9 Kildeer in the
field by my car as well. The Eagle nest at White's Landing had an adult
sitting in it; once again, I could only see the top of the white head.
Witnessed a RT hawk swoop down and nail what looked like a muskrat or VERY
large rat, about 90 feet from my car. Also, dozens of Robins, two Rough-
legged hawks and one N. Harrier were at Pickerel Creek.

One swallow does not make a summer.
Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC), Nichomachean Ethics

...but Eagles nesting, 10,000 Red-wings and grackles flying overhead, and
Kildeers does make an approach of Spring. Robert Morton