OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2007

Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2007 18:01:54 EST
Friday, 3/9/07
2:00 - 4:45 pm
    -Location:  Wayne County, south of Route 30 -- Prairie Lane, Killbuck
Marsh (Cemetery Road and the Kimber Road railroad tracks), Wright Marsh, environs.
    -Birders:  Scott Hannan, Kyle Lang

1.)  TREE SWALLOW -- a pair, circling about over the water on Prairie Lane
(see directions below), near the gravel pit.  Good looks.  Is this the first
report from the area? <<this is where I always get my first of the year>>
Reported to Bobolink Rare Bird Alert

2.)  *Tundra Swan (can't guarantee no Trumpies, but who knows) - 60, one with
collar; couldn't read, due to "heat waves" with all that sunshine (near 60
degrees!)

3.)  *Turkey Vulture -- 2-3, scattered about

4.)  *Killdeer -- good numbers at all above locations

-----  and the less notable finds...  ----------

5.)  Ring-necked Duck -- hundreds, all locations well represented, most
numerous

6.)  Redhead -- at least dozens at all locations above; some of the best
numbers I've seen in years

7.)  Canvasback -- 20-30 total, most at Wright Marsh

8.)  Lesser Scaup -- about 20:1 ratio, in favor of Ring-necks

9.)  COMMON GOLDENEYE - one at Kimber Road railroad tracks, one at the "226
Fish Pond" across from Wright Marsh

10.)  Mallard

11.)  Canada Goose

12.)  American Wigeon (no, didn't see Eurasian despite effort and imagination)

13.)  Green-winged Teal -- 2 at Cemetery Road, 1 at Wright Marsh

14.)  Northern Shoveler -- small numbers at Wright Marsh

15.)  American Coot

16.)  Hooded Merganser - 8-12 at all locations

17.)  Wood Duck (a few at Wright)

18.)  American Black Duck -- a pair at Cemetery Road

19.)  Gadwall -- Prairie Lane, Wright Marsh

20.)  Bufflehead -- 4-6 at Cemetery Road and Wright Marsh

21.)  Great Blue Heron - 1, Killbuck Marsh along Clark Road east of 83

A few we missed:  Ruddy, Blue-wing, Pintail (and of course, Smew )

Along with a smattering of land-lovers, most notably RUSTY BLACKBIRD, Common
Grackle, Eu. Starling, Cardinal, Blue Jay, Song Sparrow, American Robin...

Locations:

--Prairie Lane:  83 south of Wooster, turn east on Prairie Lane,  both sides
flooded, mostly frozen (but not for long!!)
--Cemetery Road:  Route 226 South of Wooster, left on Cemetery Road, pull-off
is on the left
--Wright Marsh:  you'll see the sign from 226, just north of Cemetery Road
--Willow Road railroad tracks:  226, between Cemetery Road and Wright Marsh;
turn east on Willow, park just past the RR tracks on the left; walk up the
tracks on the opposite side of the bridge (i.e., across from Wright Marsh)
http://www.aol.com.