OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2007

From:
Ruth Richards <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ruth Richards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2007 15:06:48 -0800
What a beautiful day to bird!  From noon to 4pm I
birded Hoover Dam and each pulloff north to Smothers.
From there north most everything was frozen, including
Oxbow.  The area above the dam has only thawed near
the shore and brought the waterfowl close in.  I had
such close looks at a Bufflehead I could distinguish
the irridescent blues and violets above its bill.  The
ponds at Mudhen Marsh were partially thawed as well.
Then I stopped by Inniswood Metropark Nature Center
and the pine grove across from it.  Birds seen (no
scope)(40 species):

Pied-billed Grebe - 1
Great Blue Heron - 10+
Mute Swan - 1 beauty, no collar (Mudhen)
Canada Goose - 100's
Mallard - Less than 10+
American Wigeon - could only ID one (faraway)
Northern Shoveler - 3M,2F (below dam)
Redhead - high numbers just south of Smothers bridge
Lesser Scaup - 3M,2F (above dam)
Ring-necked Duck - 3M,1F (Mudhen)
Common Goldeneye - 1M,1F (below dam)
Barrow's Goldeneye - 2M,2F (below dam, near Barrow's)
Bufflehead - 2M (one below dam, one above)
Hooded Merganser - few M/F (south of Smothers bridge)
Red-breasted Merganser - lots M/F (south of Smothers,
  and 1F above dam)
Common Merganser - 1M (south of Smothers bridge)
Turkey Vulture - 3
Cooper's Hawk - 2
Red-tailed Hawk - 3 (Inniswood)
Killdeer - 4 (above dam)
Ring-billed Gull - Lots
Rock Dove - 10+
Mourning Dove - 10+
Barred Owl - 1 (Inniswood, flew back and forth in
  pine grove, giving excellent looks)
Red-bellied Woodpecker - 1
Downy Woodpecker - 5
Northern Flicker - 2