OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2007

From:
BEVERLY WALKER <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BEVERLY WALKER <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Mar 2007 20:26:32 -0500
My wife Bev and I thought we were observing turkey vultures along the coastline yesterday and today. A shot of Spring fever at seeing the large dark soaring birds overrode out thoughts of the calendar date. Lucky for us we have an acquaintance with Jen Brumfield author and illustrator of "Birds of the Cleveland. Metro parks" . We were favored with an interpretation of this sighting that we became suspicious of once we did note the calendar date. She informed us that these are Creagles, a hybrid of crow and eagle. As most birds achieve a physical transformation to breeding plumage during the progression of Spring the Creagle must wait for a wizard. On March 15 in the shire of Hinckley the mighty wizard Hinkle will raise his magic Leicas at about 9:00 AM when he and his minions see the day's first Creagle. He will loudly proclaim with the mythic incantation "Buzzard" that all North Ohio Creagles will be transformed into Turkey Vultures. The incantation will also bring back swallows to San Juan Capistrano Cal. Snakes will be driven out of the Emerald Isles.

Happy Mid March birding to all
Sam and Bev Walker
North Olmsted (Cuyahoga county)