Date:
Thu, 26 Apr 2007 12:32:51 EDT
A rainy morning was brightened considerably today when I found a flock of  26
Willets at 8:20 in a mudflat along the causeway that runs along the marsh at
Crane Creek State Park. The birds were on the left side of the causeway in
the  second open mudflat past the pump. This is by far the largest flock of
Willets  I've ever seen in the Midwest, and the first ones I've ever seen in the
park.  Accompanying the Willets in that mudflat were 2 Greater Yellowlegs and 2
Snipe.  The Willets were still present when I left at 10:45.

Earlier in the morning, I found 8 Golden Plovers in a flooded field on the
south side of Krause Road. Also present there were Pectorals, Snipe, and a
Greater Yellowlegs.

The boardwalk at Magee was fairly slow. The highlight for me was watching a
group of warblers and kinglets mob a Screech Owl.

Darlene Friedman
Novi, MI.